So, we're taking on a very familiar theme to urban home seekers out there. If you also share the story of small space-loads of things to fit inside it then read on. Smart living has increased in popularity due to the fact that, well, there's a lot of people everywhere basically. Not a lot of space to cope with those numbers and so big city apartment owners (or renters) this is definitely somethink to take notes about.
A small apartment is often associated with a lack of space. Unsuccessful planning can cause a crowded and cluttered appearance. However, it can easily be fixed. Even the smallest and seemingly uncomfortable apartment can be made functional with a few simple tips & tricks. A great opportunity to experiment and create your own unique interior!
1. Color. The right choice of color can visually increase the space, so try to pick up the paint for walls and ceiling in light colors (white, beige, gray, blue, light green). If you're in love with textures then you can also go for wallpapers with fine ornaments, abandoning large drawings. The flooring should be slightly darker, but not too much, otherwise the room will appear low. Try to adhere to monochrome in the room: various interior items (furniture upholstery, table and chairs), made in one color, visually expand the space. We know sometimes you feel like also adding a rainbow in there but maybe not on this one. Leave that to Skittles.
2. Curtains. If there are large windows in a small room, the curtains are better to hang around the edges so that the windows will seem bigger. Choose long (to the floor) curtains and tulle in the same color scheme as the walls. Give preference to light flowing fabrics, which do not weight the space and do not take up a lot visually. Go for flowing, transparent materials that can let is shine!
3. Make the most of space. Every piece of interior, especially in a small room, must have its own purpose. Try to use it to the maximum. For example, a wardrobe is an excellent option for those who live in a one-room apartment. It does not take up much space and at the same time combines several types of furniture: a wardrobe, a bookcase, a chest of drawers, a TV cabinet, a mini-bar, shelves for souvenirs, photographs and other small things. And we know we all have a little collection of souveniers from somewhere special.
4. Reflective and transparent surfaces. Mirrors and other reflective elements of the interior can also visually enlarge the space and make the room lighter due to reflected light. It is desirable that the mirror is situated in front of the window. A cabinet with large mirrored doors or a wall with a mirror tile visually enlarges the room in half. Transparent interior items made of durable plastic, less often glass, (for example, tables, chairs) allow you to visually expand the space. Furniture with transparent legs creates the effect of lightness and soaring.
5. Zoning the room. In order for the room to become more functional, divide it into zones. For example, you need to separate the work area from the sleeping one. Use different combinations of colors, divide space with screens, curtains or bookshelves. Use different light sources to create the illusion of two different rooms. Arrange furniture around the room so that it is accessible, and you can move around easily.
6. Avoid the mess. This is especially noticeable in a small space. Do not fill the room with unnecessary things. Define your priorities: get rid of what you do not need, hide these things in cabinets and drawers. And definitely say goodbye to living like a rebel teenager with everything tossed somewhere in a corner.
7. More light. Natural and artificial light have the property of expanding space. Even if the window is large, try not to cover it with curtains. If the room is not on the sunny side, you can use the built-in light sources around the perimeter of the room.
Guest post by: Melisa Marzett, professional writer. For more clickHERE
Photo credit: @Styledbyemmahos
We are proud to be in the forefront with a fresh design element in home décor styling – furniture feet! This grounding detail has been cast aside for too long and is now getting it’s deserved attention. At Prettypegs we are passionate about details and design, and we all know that a unique accessory, like stunning headphones or shoes will lift a personality. The same goes with furniture.